Friday, February 4, 2011

Tom-Boys and Writing...

After days of searching for a blog background I think I have finally found one that I am satisfied with. My previous one I liked, but was too dark, and everything I searched through was too girly. Don't get me wrong, I love flowers and pink swirls and things like that, but the plethora of girl bling just doesn't scream "me". I'm a country girl to the core. I love the dirt and grime that comes with outside work. I love t-shirts and jeans, hoodies, and tennis shoes (or work boots). I am a tom-boy. But a tom-boy who loves fairytales (I'm a hopeless romantic). Strange combination? Yeah, I think so too.

So, what does this have to do with writing? Well, I've always wondered if it was the tom-boy in me that found it easier to write from a male perspective. I struggle with my female points of view. I struggle with being the girl that needs rescuing or protection. I like to be the one wielding the sword, taking on the bad guys, being the leader. Though I like girly-girls, I find it hard to be one. And yes, I do want characters that are girls, the way most girls are. Like I said, I love fairytales. You know, boy saves girl kinda thing... Not girl saves boy.

So what do you do when you find it hard to fill a role? Do you eliminate the character's point of view? What if it is crucial? How do you fit yourself into a character that just doesn't want to fit you?

Hmmm... any good advice on this subject? Let me know!

God bless and happy writing!

No comments: